Saturday, May 28, 2011

Irmãzinha

~Memories~
* when Mackenzie was born I was 4 almost 5 and Josh was 2. I wish I remembered what happened that day a little more, but all I remember was being kind of confused. At the time we were living with my grandparents in Salina, KS, so I'm sure that they watched after my brother and I. At some point my dad picked us up to go meet our new little sister who was all wrapped up in a red stalking because it was the last day in November, 1995.
Sister love <3
*Kenzie and I shared a room for the majority of our lives - and while Mom and Dad always called her the angel baby, b/c she hardly ever cried - I remember slightly differently...but like most things that passed.
*Probably one of our favorite Christmas mornings ever was when Mackenzie stopped sleeping in a crib and we got a beautiful white bunk-bed - I was so excited to get the top bunk and she couldn't stop grinning over her "big girl bed"
I guess we never got over dress-up ;)
* We had the coolest room ever - it was pink (which at the time we both loved) and it had hearts on the wall, and was filled w/ white wicker furniture, a homemade barbie house, more dress-up clothes than most little girls would know what to do with, and for a little while a pet hamster that had a squeaky wheel. The typical older sister, I would dress up kenzie in all kinds of ridiculous outfits - and we both loved it.
* kenz used to be obsessed with the little song "the Lord is my Shepherd" except she would only sing the "always, always" part over and over again : "aaaaaaa yay aaaaaa yay aaaaaa yay!" 
* Mackenzie was always the youngest of our little MK circle growing up - but on occasion my friend Lindsey Hummel and I would pretend that we could understand everything she was babbling - we had the "baby language" down to a T - and kenz loved all the attention from the big kids.
The MK gang
*On her 1st birthday  Mackenzie fell out of a swing and landed - well on her teeth. Her fragile two front teeth we pushed all the way back into her gums. The dentist said that the teeth would come in dead - and black. They didn't -and her pearly whites came back in perfectly fine - thank than Lord!
*Growing up i think we had the same taste buds - we had the same favorite soup, and didn't like onions, tomatoes, peppers, or mayo. Spaghetti was always a favorite - and I can't remember a time when we didn't fight over the broccoli.
* There was definitely a rather long phase of matching outfits...which she absolutely adored and I wasn't too fond of...but I must admit, in retrospect it made for some really cute pictures :)
*My sister is many things - but shy is not one of them. When she was little she used to walk up to random people on the street and start having conversations "Hi my name is Mackenzie, I'm 5 what's your name..."she was definitely one to keep a close eye on.  *Mackenzie was always the most adorable little girl - somehow she managed to remain cute even when my brother cute her hair off (completely innocently - he thought he was helping out mommy) and stayed beautiful even with braces in Jr. High. Now she is in High school (which i'm still trying to wrap my mind around) and she's just gorgeous. 
My sister and I have definitely had our ups and downs - but what sisters 5 years apart in age don't? I know I've pushed her over board just as often as she did me. It's interesting though - how most of the times I would get upset with her was when she would do things that she probably learned from watching me. On the other hand there's a really cool thing about that 5 year difference - 5 years at age ten is half a life time, but at 20 it doesn'y seem nearly so bad, and I'm guessing that that trend continues. Kenz and I definitely have a blast together - going shopping to buy nothing, or watching our favorite TV shows, or just havin' an all around good time.

Kenz is one of the most talented teens I know. She would probably deny it - but shes got some serious artistic ability - in drawing, writing, and music. Creativity is definitely her forte. I think her favorite is probably music - unlike me she has taken the time to learn chords on the piano and can play pretty much anything she wants. I won't even start on her amazing voice - (secretly think she's the reason her school choir got top ratings in all their competitions.) She is fantastic at drawing all kinds of crazy collages and cartoon type pictures. Once upon a time I thought that was all she could draw...false. She can draw pretty realistic looking stuff too if she has something to look at. Of course on top of that she writes - she would tell you am the better writer - and I would laugh. The girl is fifteen and writes way better poetry than I do - and I even took a college level poetry class.
Mackenzie has a sort of passion about her that I don't think I ever recognized until recently. She doesn't do things half way - sometimes that gets her in trouble, but other times it means she is the defender and protector. She's not the type to hide her opinion or beliefs. She is bold and not afraid to be herself. I don't want to get carried away here though - she is definitely still a teenage girl - and like all of us has her insecurities and doubts. However I can't wait to see how the Lord will harness all her potential for His glory.
Love you muches baby sister - even if you can't always tell so much...you're the better version of myself in a lot of ways, and in others you are nothing like me - you are just Mackenzie - and I love that about you!
love your big sister,

~ Shaela

No comments: