Back in my WOL Hungary days our OT teacher used an illustration involving a three dimensional God trying to explain Himself to two dimensional paper people. He pointed out all the different things in a three dimensional world that a paper person would view as ludicrous.There is scientific research that supports the existence of something like 14 dimensions. At the very least we know for certain there are many more than the four dimensions as we experience them, bound up by space and time. We are the paper people - and He is the one begging us to trust Him, that there is so much more than we can even being to imagine.
So why do I still insist on trying to fit Him into the box of my understanding? Who says things are all supposed to make sense to me? Who says I have a right to know why? Me and my finite little self don't have a right to anything in the light of His all-encompassing majesty and power.
Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind and said,
“Who is this that darkens counsel
By words without knowledge? …
“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding …
“Who is this that darkens counsel
By words without knowledge? …
“Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell Me, if you have understanding …
[insert 4 chapters of God proving His absolute authority over all things, and mans nothingness in comparison]
...Then Job answered the LORD and said,
“I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.” ...
“I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42)
Dust and Ashes – that’s all I deserve- that’s the equivalent of my understanding. Not only is my mind utterly blown to pieces by the enormity of the God I serve, but I have come to see how vile my nature is when compared to His brilliant purity. So not only am I a paper person, now I’m a paper person who threw herself in the mud, and the mud clouds my vision of Him even more...and then there was this:
“I know that You can do all things,
And that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted.
‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’
Therefore I have declared that which I did not understand,
Things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.” ...
“I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear;
But now my eye sees You;
Therefore I retract,
And I repent in dust and ashes.” (Job 42)
Dust and Ashes – that’s all I deserve- that’s the equivalent of my understanding. Not only is my mind utterly blown to pieces by the enormity of the God I serve, but I have come to see how vile my nature is when compared to His brilliant purity. So not only am I a paper person, now I’m a paper person who threw herself in the mud, and the mud clouds my vision of Him even more...and then there was this:
“But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus” (Ephesians 2)
"But God..." But God did what!? For who!? WHY??? Those verses are something I will never comprehend. He is beyond description –and I? I am just a muddy paper person.~Shaela
No comments:
Post a Comment