Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mamãe

~Memories ~
January 26, 1991 - the day she became a Mommy for the 1st time
     I have no idea what my first memory of her was, she was just always there, and I'm so glad that she was!
 ~ When we were little we didn't play with video games, or on the computer much - we were always outside, one thing momma used to do was set up tents made out of sheets on the clothes line so we could play house. She used to make tents in the living room too when ever I had sleepovers...it was the best!
Mommy and me <3
 ~ For as long as I can remember we had this little shelf in the living room FULL of children's books, with everything from "Christina Caterina and the Box" to "There's a Wocket in my Pocket" to "Are you my Mother?" And she read them to me all the time. When I was old enough to read for myself she used to reward me when ever I finished a book (the time I remember best was when she gave me another book *grin*) And just like that I was hooked - I've been reading like there's no end ever sense. If anyone is responsible for sparking my interest in writing and reading it is definitely my Momma.
~ Birthdays were always cause for a great celebration! We always had the coolest looking cakes, the best themes, our favorite meals and all that we could ever ask for..Now when I think about it it must have been quite the event to prepare for as a Mom of three little ones, but she always made sure it was extra special.
~ In our school days Momma would occasionally makes us special treats (especially on important days) like her amazing double chocolate chip cookies warm out of the oven just when we got home, with milk to dunk them in, or heart sugar cookies at Valentines, or what ever bit of delicious goodness she could come up with. It was always extra exciting to get home from school on those those days.
No your eyes do not deceive you - that is a rocking horse cake.
~ On ordinary school days she would occasionally write notes on the napkins she packed in our lunches. I don't know if I ever thanked her for those - but that was one of my favorite things in the world, even in High School.
~ During those tough transition years in late elementary school when girls first start to care about what they are wearing and the insecurity sets in because you aren't like everyone else is, but you wish you could be Momma used to stay up late into the night with me while I poured out my heart to her. She was and still is the best listener.
Salinas - Oh Dae Dah! Go to da Beach!!!
~ When ever I was sick mommy would lay my favorite sheets over the couch and make me "favorite soup" with crackers and bring soda in a sippy cup. She would sit there and monitor my fever, ask me where it hurt, give me the medicine I needed and then put in "Avonlea" for me to watch until I fell asleep. Oh how I miss that now.
~ In Jr. High and High school when I had to start writing papers, or in my case books! She was always the one to proof read them for me.  I definitely inherited my fathers spelling skills, but she would always help me edit them to perfection, once again contributing to my love of writing.
Oh hey there, momma! What do ya think of all that rain!?


Oh I could just go on and on and on! After all how can I fit 20 years of the memories of how my mother was constantly pouring our love on me into one blog post! It can't be done! She was the one who taught me how to color between the lines, set a table, sweep the floor, cross stitch, bake brownies and cinnamon rolls, make a pie crust, tell when chicken was cooked enough to eat, and how to make my bed. She taught me how to do the laundry with or with out a machine, let me borrow her clothes as soon as I could fit in them, spent time making curtains for my bed room with me, forced me to play the piano long enough that later when I actually wanted to I could still remember how, made pizza 100% from scratch every Friday (or sometimes Saturday) night, and so many many things. But most of all what my mother taught me was something that was never said but always demonstrated, my mom showed me what it looked like to be to be more than a mom - but to be a mommy, and what it looked like to love and serve as a wife, she showed me what is was to love with more than words but to love with actions.
 I remember the day that I first realized my mother was a missionary. It seems an odd thing to say - but I don't think until I left home myself that I ever really appreciated the fact that my mom had done that too. In a very large way I think that that realization has been one of my own great encouragements in pursuing missions my self.  My momma was dedicated to fulfill whatever the Lord had for her - whether that be as a wife and mother, a missionary woman, or a mentor - no matter the cost to herself. She was all of that and more, thanks to the Lord.
H.S. Senior Banquet - '09 - Isn't she beautiful?
My mother is strong - and she is so because the Lord is her strength, not circumstances. I see that in my memories from then, and I see it in her now every time we talk. God gave me and my family a very precious gift in my mother. He knew that we would need someone just exactly like her, and I treasure each moment and memory with her so much because I can't get over the fact the Lord let us have her then and now. She will always be my momma - my encourager, my example, my most precious friend.


I love you so much Mommy!


~Shaela

No comments: