Friday, April 8, 2011

Papai

~Memories~
Baby's 1st Christmas - Benevides, PA, Brazil -1991
- perhaps one of my very first memories ever was the day daddy took me to the zoo with grandpa and a group of other people. I noticed him walking down these big steps - which I suppose wasn't remarkable, but he was doing it backwards - and it looked so cool! I had to try it too...except my legs weren't quite as long as his and I fell, turns out I broke my leg. I was 2 (almost 3) years old. Not the most pleasant of memories, but I do remember wishing I could be like Daddy - and that's not such a bad thought.
- Every morning for as long as I can remember, Dad used to wake me up with the "good morning" song declaring it was time to rise and shine! Except Fridays, those days were extra special - they merited the "it's Friday song" with singin' and laughin' =)
Road trippin? Oh yeah!
- My Poppa has always been a rather busy man - his job sorta calls for it. But he made a schedule for us kids - we each got our own saturday to spend with him - in my case "daddy-shaela dates." My favorite time was when he took me canoeing down the igarape (creek) and we had a picnic. I'm pretty sure he did most of the rowing - but I loved that he  taught me how too.
- My dad makes the BEST avocado milk shakes - ever. Now before you say "gross" lets remember - avocados are fruits, so naturally they will taste good sweet and can be used for more things than just guacamole. 
- Road trips?? Dad's got it covered. We traveled all the time. Especially in the States - sometimes dad would drive all night - of course switching on and off with Mom when he just couldn't go any further. They were always so much fun though - Dad teaching us his mom's hillbilly tunes, and tell stories, keeping three children entertained for hours on end in a very small space...Then as soon as we got where ever we were going...it usually meant he had multiple sermons to preach in the very near future. 
I <3 my daddy
- When I was little my Dad found way too much pleasure out of tickling me until I couldn't breathe - although, looking back I'm not sure I minded so much either. 
- I'm pretty sure most of my dad's made up lullabies were first created for me...like "daddy loves his little girl" ...of course it probably didn't help that I was the one that cried the most either...sorry =(
- When I was 15, while we were on furlough in Kansas by dad took me out to a fancy restaurant and then up to a hill that over looked the town and gave me one of my most treasured possessions - my purity ring - with two teeny diamonds and a heart shaped garnet (my birthstone) in the middle. That was a birthday I will never forget! I'm pretty sure we both cried - in a good way.
Second generation AVA-er thanks to my Poppa =)
- When I was 18 we went on a grand adventure to a new continent - namely Europe. It was so much fun to fulfill one of my life long dreams with my Daddy right there beside me. We got to see Amsterdam, London, Paris, and Budapest together. What an unforgettable week or so that was!
- My dad is a good cook. Maybe not as good at everything as my mom was - but he definitely knows how to makes some amazing creamy chicken soup, acai, churrasco, and pancakes!!
- When ever I would get in trouble, my dad was always firm with me, but I never questioned why he had to be - after I apologized and all was forgiven he always gave me a hug and told me how much he loved me - I never doubted that. 
Precious Moments at the Eiffel Tower - '09
And again I feel like there is so much I could say here - but I can't really contain it in this post. My Dad has always been there for me. He is a great leader. Many people talk about it sometimes being difficult for them to understand what God the Father is like - and though I can never completely grasp Him - I feel like I'm just that much closer to understanding what it's like to have Him as my Father because I've seen Him in my earthly Father all my life. He would be the first to tell you that that is definitely not because of him, but all because of the grace of God. I couldn't agree more, and I'm so so thankful that the Lord has used my poppa in that way - the blessings have overflowed onto our family in so many immeasurable ways.
1st city in Europe! - Amsterdam - August 2009
Since coming to college - first in Hungary and now in So Cal I have gotten so very much closer to my Dad. He is undoubtedly one of my best friends. I highly value and respect his opinions and cherish his advice. If 20 years as the director of a full time ministry and a father, and many more years as a child of God has done anything, it has made him wiser, and I love that as his daughter I get little tidbits of that almost every time we talk.
Daddy - I hope you know how much I love and appreicate everything you do for me, and all of our family. Thank you so much for always being strong for all of us. I love you!

~Shaela

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay - I can't help but advertise a little here: remember those tidbits of wisdom I was talking about - you could get in on a few of them too on my dad's devotional blog: garygleans.blogspot.com =) check it out!

living-loved said...

This is lovely Shaela, Its so encouraging to see that a close relationship with your dad has allowed you to comprehend the type of loving Father /daughter relationship you have with your heavenly father. I think it is beautiful and He has obviously taught you well as I can see glimpses of jesus in you even from Ireland .Love you, Cat xxx